Specialist Homelessness Services

Information for Young People

What are Specialist Youth Homelessness Services?

Specialist Youth Homelessness Services provide immediate and transitional supported accommodation to young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

Specialist Youth Homelessness Services also provide other services including case management to help people to resolve crisis in their life, mediate with family, and assist people to be independent.

What do Specialist Youth Homelessness services offer?

Types of Specialist Youth Homelessness Services include: Immediate Supported Accommodation (short term and medium term), Transitional Supported Accommodation (external) or Centre Based Support services.

Find an specialist youth homeless/emergency service near you by checking https://www.oneplace.org.au/
or https://www.mycommunitydirectory.com.au/

Helpful Information about Specialist Youth Homelessness Services


For Immediate Supported Accommodation (short term), the length of stay can be anywhere between 1 night to 3 months. Temporary accommodation is generally supported, which means that a staff member is onsite 24 hours a day. Some shelters are specifically for young people who are 13- 17yrs, some for 15-17yrs or 16-25yrs. There are shelters that house both males and females, and some that only house females, or only house males, and most shelters cater for individuals rather than for young couples. If you need temporary accommodation, generally you would phone the service on the day that you are seeking accommodation.


For Immediate Supported Accommodation (medium term), you are able to stay for a period of 6 months to 1 year. The referral process for being accepted into a placement varies with each service. You may need to have an initial interview or visit to the house to see if the service suits your needs, and this might include a dinner visit/short stay with current occupants. You may then complete an application form that includes your personal details. Most medium term supported placements have criteria that young people must meet in order to be eligible for a placement. For example, part of the criteria could include that the young person is involved, or is willing to be involved in a daily activity (school, work, or training). It may also be necessary for the young person to have an income for the payment of rent.


For Transitional Supported Accommodation (External)you are able to stay for a period of 1 year.  The accommodation is usually a flat/unit where you can live with support provided.  There is usually a waiting period for this type of accommodation program, if you have contacted a service like this, when they have a vacancy you would be called in to interview.  You would sign a lease agreement in this style of accommodation program and usually be required to link in with a Case Worker from that service.

Centre Support

A Centre Based Support service is usually a youth service where you can literally access at any time to access resources and support; a youth worker, access a computer or participate in a group or centre based activity.  You just need to check with the service about their hours.

A Coalition is only as strong as its membership…
Get Involved