Financial Matters

Department of Human Services (Commonwealth Government)

If you are without an income or need assistance for an emergency the Federal government may be able to help.

For more information click here or if you are homelessness you can call the social workers on 132 850

Transition to Independent Living Allowance

TILA is one-off practical support from the Australian Government to assist some young people 15 to 25 years who are making the transition from formal and informal care to independent living.

For more information click here to access the TILA website

Money smart

If you need help managing your money (ie budget calculators), understanding how credit work or finding a financial counsellor this is a great website.

Welfare Rights Centre

If you have problems in relation to your income support from Centrelink, Welfare Rights may be able to help you.

The Welfare Rights Centre is a community legal centre that provides independent information and free legal advice to individuals about Social Security and Disability Discrimination Law. They may also provide legal representation.

Form more information click here to access the Welfare Rights website.

Emergency Relief

There are a range of services who have been allocated funding from the Commonwealth Emergency Relief Program.  The objective of Emergency Relief (ER) is to assist people in financial crisis to deal with their immediate crisis situation in a way that maintains the dignity of the individual and encourages self reliance.

Assistance from Emergency Relief providers to clients is primarily in the form of:
* purchase vouchers of a fixed value (eg for food, transport or chemist vouchers);
* assistance with rent/accommodation;
* part-payment of utility account/s;
*material assistance such as food parcels or clothing; and/or
*appropriate referrals to other services that help to address underlying causes of financial crisis.

There is no directory for these services however you can call either Homeless Persons Information Queensland on 1800 474753 or QYHC on 1800 177107.

Communify Queensland

Communify Queensland provides no interest loans up to $1200.  The loan has a number of eligbility criteria.  Applicants need to:
• be receiving a government pension or payment
• have lived at the same address for at least six months
• live in the local area in one of the following suburbs:
• Ashgrove • Kelvin Grove • Paddington • Auchenflower • Milton
• Petrie Terrace • Toowong • Bardon • Mt Nebo • Red Hill • The Gap

For more information click here to access the Communify Queensland website.

Commonwealth Financial Counselling Directory

A number of organisations are funded by the Australian Government to provide CFC financial counselling services. For more information click here to access the Commonwealth Financial Counselling Directory.

Latest News