Choosing a place to live

Finding a place to live is a big deal, whether you’re just about to move out of home for the first time, or if you’ve been moving around for years.

The most important this is to choose a place that’s good for you – a place that you can afford, that’s safe, that’s close to the things you need. A place where you could really live.

This section covers private rental options (including boarding and guest houses), the one social housing system (which covers public and community housing) and the new National Rental Affordability Scheme.

One Social Housing System

» Click here to find your Queensland Government Housing Service Centre

Residential Tenancies Authority

» Click here

Tenants Union of Queensland

Ph: 1300 744 263

» Click here for more information

Other important matters to consider are issues such as:

  • electricity;
  • water charging; and/or
  • gas.

Emergency Accommodation

Are you homeless in Queensland?

Homeless Persons Information Queensland 1800 47 47 53.

Homeless Persons Information Queensland is a Queensland Government service that can help you by providing information about:

* Housing

* Advice and Support

* where to get meal, showers and clothing

Specialist Youth Homelessness Services

» Download a list of Specialist Youth Homelessness Services contacts in Queensland (PDF)

Youth Housing and Reintegration Service (YHARS)

YHARS helps young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness by providing support and access to a range of housing options- this service is only available in select locations around the state. 

YHARS assists young people aged 12 to 20 years who are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of homelessness and who:

  • have exited from care after being subject to a child protection order (who are 18 to 20 years old), or
  • are transitioning from the care of the state, or
  • are transitioning to the community following a period of sentence or remand in a Youth Detention Centre, and/or
  • have been 'sleeping rough' or living in unstable, temporary or inadequate housing arrangements.

For more information go to: www.youth.qld.gov.au or by calling 1300 555 954

Youth Bail Accommodation Support Service

YBASS assists with providing accommodation and support services to young people who are remanded in custody, or are at risk of being remanded in custody, because of a lack of stable accommodation.

Contact Ned: 0414 476 745 or the office on (07) 3112 0216

Kids Help Line

(24 hours a day - 7 days a week)
Phone: 1800 55 1800 or go to www.kidshelp.com.au

Are you experiencing domestic or family violence

Getting help for people experiencing violence

If you are in danger right now, call the police on 000.

The following services provide confidential advice and assistance. These services are all free of charge if you call from a land-based telephone line.

Dvconnect womensline

Ph: 1800 811 811

Assists women to obtain refuge accommodation, counselling and referral to other services.

Dvconnect mensline

Ph: 1800 600 636

Provides counselling, information and referral to men affected by domestic and family violence.

Kids helpline

Ph: 1800 551 800

A free confidential telephone counselling service for five to 25-year-olds.

Sexual assault hotline

Ph: 1800 010 120

A 24-hour confidential telephone service for women who have been sexually abused or sexually assaulted at any time of their lives.

Immigrant Women's Support Service

Ph: 3846 3490 (local call cost if calling from Brisbane)

The Immigrant Women's Support Service (IWSS) is a community based organisation which works with women and children of non-English speaking background who are or have been in violent domestic situations and/or have experienced rape and/or sexual assault.

National Sexual Assault, Family & Domestic Violence Counselling Line

Ph: 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

This line is for any Australian who has experienced, or is at risk of, family and domestic violence and/or sexual assault.

1800 RESPECT  is free, confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Professionally qualified, specialist counsellors will provide counselling, information, advice and referrals to relevant local services. 

Latest News